What is your preferred method of course delivery?

Sunday, February 6, 2011

Episode Three - The One Where It Was Cathy versus the IPods

A steep learning curve represents my work with IPods this week. I am certainly feeling a lot more proficient with my IPhone 4 but there is still a humongous amount of knowledge for me to attain. After that excellent learning experience last Tuesday night, I enthusiastically continued my quest for the ten IPod apps that Barb had assigned for us. I should have just found the apps and left it there. But that would be too logical and sensible, so ever-avid me had to make sure that the apps were downloaded on my IPhone. My plan was to see them each of them work for myself. Attribute this choice to my determination (or, as my family like to call it, stubborn streak).

Apparently I am not keeping up with this technological world. You see, I do not have Wi-Fi at my house. Consequently, I decided to add and update apps using my high-speed cable internet connection. My inexperience was evident on Wednesday when I clicked on to ITunes, found the apps that I wanted to add and presto – my IPhone went blank resulting in the loss of everything on it. (I actually blame the computer I was using since it decided to crash midway through the synching process.) After freaking out and using a vocabulary rich with unmentionable words, I decided to call it a day with regard to my IPhone. Mother Nature was on my side on Thursday when we were treated to a second snow day. I awoke afresh and started to tackle my IPod app challenge. I decided to use another computer and the decision instantly paid off for me. Watching my IPhone pick up the apps was a thing of beauty – and relief for me. Thanks goodness the apps reloaded for free! Some of the apps would not load without a Wi-Fi so I decided to leave them for Friday morning when I returned to school. I actually waited until later in the day since my school’s staff was participating in an accreditation meeting and our very limited bandwidth was required by the co-chairs.

As I have previously stated in other blog entries, I am technologically challenged. So it should come as no surprise that my school’s program support IPod is also causing me problems. In fact, I have not been able to download 22 app updates. The lack of success using my school’s Wi-Fi prompted my decision to so to bring it home with me this weekend and attempted to use my good computer. I am sure that you will not be shocked that luck evaded me again. Barb and Anita take heed – I am bringing the IPod to our class and Thursday and seek advice from both of you.

You would think that I have developed a hatred for IPhone and IPod but the opposite is the case. I love the handy little techno gadgets even more as time goes on. I suspect that the same area of my brain is affected as that of a parent adoring his or her child who displays challenging behavior.

By the way, I found ten apps that I like so far – Scene Builder, Tap-to-Talk, Multi-Lang Dictionary, Zombies vs. Literacy, Wolfram Calculus Course Assistant, 8 Planets, Autism Aide Visual Scheduler, Undersea and ABC Alphabet Phonics. I am hoping to get a great panel of experts, my students, to try them out tomorrow. If things go as planned, I will post the results tomorrow night.

Thanks for taking the time to read my blog. Happy IPodding!

No comments:

Post a Comment