What is your preferred method of course delivery?

Monday, February 7, 2011

Episode 3 (Update) – The One Where It Was Cathy versus the IPods

As promised, here is my report about the apps that I found to help various learning and behavioral challenges.

‘Scene Builder’ was my choice for an app that can be beneficial for a student with ASD and sensory needs since it can inspire a child’s imagination. I decided to download the car mechanic version. The user is required to buy items from the warehouse that will be used in the autoshop. It is especially good for students who need a little bit of entertainment. Other sensory apps my student like are ‘Water Globe’ and ‘Drops – an Electric Fluid Toy’.

‘Tap-to-Talk’ provides a communication devise that can help meet the needs of a non-verbal student since it can be accessed through direct selection. The app has a free started album but additional selections come with a small cost. With guidance and practice a child could become proficient with this app as a communication tool.

MLD ‘Multi-Lang Dictionary’ works nicely as a text-to-speech device for students who have handwriting and spelling issues although it is designed as a language translator. Words, phrases and sentences that students write can be read back to them.

‘Zombies vs. Literacy’ is a fun way for a student to improve his or her literacy levels and counteract dyslexia. One of my students loved it as he used this morning. The Zombie works his way across the bottom towards the brain as the student reads words as they appear on the IPod screen. The brain is safe from the Zombie when the student reads the words correctly.

As I searched for a calculus app, I came across ‘Wolfram Calculus Course Assistant’.
Knowing that I took my last calculus course during my second year as a Memorial University (many, many years ago), I decided to consult a first year engineering student for advice. Quoting Brad “Two of my favorite are called ‘Formulas Free’ and ‘Graphing Calculator’. Formulas Free has tons of formulas and can be very useful plus it's free!! Graphing Calculator is very useful when doing the graphing section of calculus because it allows you to enter the equation and it will show you the graph and gives you the values you need to calculate. It just helps to see if you’re going in the right direction when working on some of those lengthy problems. It does cost $1.99 but they often put it on sale for free.” I actually downloaded these apps without cost on my IPhone. Maybe I will be inspired to practice my math skills.

‘8 Planets’ entertained me with its activities, especially the matching game. It would be a wonderful supplement to any science unit about the solar system. One of my students loved it when he had the chance to try it out today. The app costs $2.99 but a light version is also available.

‘Autism Aide Visual Scheduler’ has a heftier cost ($9.99) than most of the apps I reviewed. Nevertheless it is a very nice way to create a visual schedule for students who require organizational support. I suspect one of my students will find this app to be very beneficial with her tendencies to being a visual learner.

‘Magical Me’ contains happy, calming stories read by lovely-voiced lady. The mystical music also helps to create a serene feeling. This app would help counteract anxiety felt by a young student as he or she rode the school bus. It can be downloaded with a cost of $2.99. I had originally selected ‘Undersea’ but the screen went blank as one of my students was using it today. I will keep my eyes open for an ‘Undersea’ update in the near future.

‘Fashion Math’ is one of my favorite apps to use with children who need a little boost to master basic math skills. Students are rewarded with options to change the clothing on a model as they answer questions correctly. Two of my female students absolutely love this app. One of the girls, who is in grade nine, patiently taught a much younger student to use the app with great success.

‘ABC Alphabet Phonics’ appears to be an appropriate app for a younger student to use as a method to enhance his or her phonetic awareness. This free app includes brightly coloured pictures that illustrate objects that start with each letter of the alphabet. Flashcards can be customized allowing the teacher to make the app even more user friendly.

As I end this blog entry, I am pleased to report that the program support IPod worked beautifully today. Maybe I am getting more technologically adept. On this very positive note, I bid you farewell.

Thank you for taking the time to read my blog.

1 comment:

  1. Scene Builder looks cool! it might be a "must have" purchase:)

    ReplyDelete