“The hand that turneth the knob, opens the door” – Anonymous
One of the biggest challenges I experience as a program/behavioral support teacher is the implementation of assistive technology for all the students who will benefit from its use. Along with the students and teachers do not see the advantage of learning how to use various devices and programs, often people are afraid that they will make too many errors. But as to quote a First Nations saying “The greatest mistake you can make in life is to continually fear you will make one.”
During the AT 5173 class on March 22, I had the opportunity to experience the challenges face by a person who requires a head switch to operate a communication device, specifically a Head Mouse – Sensor on dot. Although the switch opens up a world of communication that would otherwise be unavailable, it was not an easy skill to master. Without a doubt, I would need to increase my patience if I was to effectively employ a Power Link but I like to believe that the incentive of vastly improved communication would inspire me to become more proficient.
I thank the other member of my class for enlightening me about 20 effective ways to employ a Power Link.
1. Pencil sharpener
2. Popcorn maker
3. Light
4. Toaster
5. Electric Stapler
6. Turn on a Fan – (eg. dries glue)
7. Hair Dryer
8. CD Player with read aloud story
9. Overhead projector
10. Score board (eg. To indicate soccer ball)
11. Fitness equipment
12. Ice crusher
13. Blender
14. Electric Piano (Switch ensemble)
15. Plug in Disco Lights
16. Turn on Appliances such as washer, dryer and dishwasher
17. Light Bright
18. Timer
19. Music for musical chairs
20. Massager
While creating Individual Program Plan (IPP) Goals that include the use of a power link switch one should consider:
• Cause and Effect
• Experience and Senses
• Socialization
• Completing the Task
• Increasing Communication Opportunities
The IPP team will need to be creation and provide the opportunities for user and staff training to use the devices.
Thank you for reading my blog.
No comments:
Post a Comment